documentation best practices

hessiansx4 hessiansx4 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 02:56:00 PST 2011

I could use some insight into a situation I haven't encountered before today: how does one best respond to a request (read: order) to include something in their product's documentation about a functionality that will not be released with the upcoming release (it will still be in development) but is hoped to be ready "shortly" (whatever that means) after the product is released.

I've politely pointed out that industry best practice is to document what IS as opposed to what WILL BE and that certain liabilities might be incurred if promises are made and then something goes wrong.

Any thoughts?