Is it possible to export a FM file without including all of the conditional text?

Laura Larson l2larsonq at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 7 08:16:05 PST 2011

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

For those who were curious, the reason I was asked to do this is that the company who owns the manuals sometimes sells their product under a rebranding agreement, and smaller companies do not have the justification to use Frame. I'm not too worried about anyone else taking over that manual set. The company has been a client for a number of years and they keep pushing work my way. And, their customer was warned that the Word output wasn't going to look too pretty. ;-)

In terms of the export itself, the actual exporting to .rtf files wasn't a big deal for those chapters that were mostly straight text. However, there were plenty of tables and screen captures, which initially bloated up the manual to 640MB. Using Acrobat Pro to save as word files seriously messed up the formatting in places, so I ended up using a combination of the two methods for individual chapters.

As for the .mif export, that didn't seem to eliminate the conditional text that I was trying to exclude. Maybe I just didn't know enough about how to do that. Next time I'll try Mif2go.

Thanks again!
-Laura