Create fractions on the fly?

VLM TechSubs TechSubs at VibrantLivingMinistries.org
Fri Dec 9 07:19:20 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

Running FrameMaker 8 on Win 7 SP1 x64 and on Win XP SP3.

I use a lot of diagonal fractions, like ½ instead of 1 / 2 (spaces added for effect). But of
course, the standard set of fractions included in most fonts, even those with “extended
fractions”  such as 1/8, 3/8, etc. is minimal. (You can likely see that my present font does not
provide such fractions. But this is just email. :) So

1. Does FM support the use of OpenType fonts, and if so, beginning with what FM version?

1.a. If “yes”, then does anyone have suggestions as to what OpenType fonts or foundries provide
excellent support for diagonal fractions?

2. Does anyone know of a tool that enables creation of arbitrary diagonal fractions AS
CHARACTERS on the fly. (I’ve found tools that create graphics, but of course those of are of
limited use. See, for example, http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/equation_editor.php,
link at the bottom.)

3. Can I use the FM equation editor to achieve this goal? What to read to learn how? And will
such fractions, created in FM, carry over elsewhere (Word, Outlook/Thunderbird, Excel, etc.)?

4. What about when working in Word? (I’m thinking of creating a fraction in one, then carrying
it over to the other, either direction.)

5. Other suggestions/approaches/observations/thoughts?

Thank you kindly,
Elchanan