Create fractions on the fly?

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Fri Dec 9 10:58:34 PST 2011

> 2. Does anyone know of a tool that enables creation of arbitrary
> diagonal fractions AS CHARACTERS on the fly. (I've found tools that
> create graphics, but of course those of are of limited use. See, for
> example, http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/equation_editor.php,
> link at the bottom.)

Though FrameMaker doesn't directly make use of OpenType features-- i.e.
you can't type 2/3 and have it convert automatically to a proper
fraction--  it does understand unicode. So if you have a font that
includes numerators and denominators, you can use Character Map to copy
and insert them manually.

There are also fraction fonts you can buy, that let you enter fractions
using particular keystrokes. The only problem I've found with them is
that the typeface is often substantially different from the surrounding
body text, making them noticeable.

You can also find a method of using variables to create fractions here:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3919882#3919882

Mike Wickham