Removing extraneous color channel information

David Creamer IDEASlists at IDEAStraining.com
Wed Dec 14 15:24:25 PST 2011

Where did you create the drop shadows? In AI?
What format did you save the AI files as?
What were your PDF settings?
What version of Acrobat Pro do you have?
(I noticed you are using Distiller 6--is your Acrobat the same version?)

David Creamer
IDEAS Training
http://www.ideastraining.com
Adobe Authorized Instructor & Certified Expert since 1995
Authorized QuarkXPress Instructor and Certified Expert since 1988

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:42:00 +0000
From: Steve Rickaby <srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk>
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Removing extraneous color channel information

FrameMaker 7 for Mac, print to .ps, Distiller 6.

I am currently packaging a  book to be printed in b&w using the same
workflow that I've used successfully on lots of other books in the past,
either b&w or spot color.

Although I have applied all the processes used for previous books (reducing
photos to 8-bit grayscale, applying Illustrator's 'convert to grayscale'
filter to line art, making sure all included graphics are CMYK and not RGB),
I seem to be unable to remove information in the C, M and Y channels in the
press-ready PDF. The problem manifests itself with inserted photos and
drop-shadows on line art. In preflight, if the C, M and Y channels are
switched off, the photos look bad.

Rather than dump this problem on the printers, I'd like to resolve it here,
but I am out of ideas. Can anyone advise me?

--
Steve