Removing extraneous color channel information

David Creamer IDEASlists at IDEAStraining.com
Thu Dec 15 08:39:21 PST 2011

OmniGraffle is the problem (as far as your issue is concerned). Like most
business-related programs, it works in RGB.
Its drop shadows are RGB and pixel-based, so Illustrator can convert the RGB
to CMYK, but it can't change a the resulting CMYK shadow to grayscale/K-only
shadow.

The easiest thing to do is upgrade to a newer version of Acrobat. You can
convert the entire document to grayscale, removing the CMY seps.
(I don't remember if version 6 can do that or not--it has been too long
since I used that version.)

PDF/X-3 will not solve your problem as it does not convert color.

As an aside, I would either make a commitment to FrameMaker or to the Mac.
If FrameMaker--get a Windows computer, run Boot Camp on the Mac, or get
Parallels (or similar program) to run Windows on your Mac.
For the latter two, you may need a newer Mac, especially for the last
option. Then upgrade FrameMaker and Acrobat.

If you want to say strictly Mac, consider using InDesign (and still upgrade
Acrobat).

David Creamer
IDEAS Training
http://www.ideastraining.com
Adobe Authorized Instructor & Certified Expert since 1995
Authorized QuarkXPress Instructor and Certified Expert since 1988