Batch PDF processing for enabling commenting in acrobat reader

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:44:05 PST 2011

I was too breezily optimistic in saying of what is possible using Actions
based on my reading of Sahlin's book. I'm still not *absolutely* sure this
is impossible, but if it is possible the solution is not as obvious as I had
assumed. (I've taken another look at the book at my local B&N, and the tie
between the  Ch. 14 "Batch Process..." and Ch. 9 "Review PDF Documents" is
not made in the way I recollected.  There is a discussion of PDF
optimization via batch that allows choosing which versions of Reader will be
allowed to open the output file, but that is not with comments enabled.)

However, maybe there is a simpler solution. Doesn't just saving a FM file as
a PDF using File>SaveAs Review  PDF>Enable Commenting in Reader accomplish
what is wanted?  If saved that way to begin with, there is no need to batch
the resulting PDFs. Someone more familiar with Extendscript than I might
also comment on the feasibility of using that to operate on a series of FM
files in a folder to accomplish this SaveAs function.

I promise (once again!) to restrain myself in future.

Irrepressibly,

Craig