"[Violation] Annotations were found inside the BleedBox, TrimBox or ArtBox on the following pages" and PDFX/1-a standard

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Tue Feb 1 06:25:04 PST 2011

Joanna,

FrameMaker is not a graphic arts application. Its output is primarily RGB and the PostScript generated by the driver is not setup to generate PDF that will conform to the PDF/X-1a specification.

The PDF/X-1a specification doesn't allow for any of the cross reference stuff capabilities of PDF, annotations, embedded video, etc. It is strictly for old-style PDF CMYK and spot color printing without any transparency, layers, JPEG2000 compression, etc.

Unfortunately, the current FrameMaker "save as CMYK PDF" doesn't quite work right to yield a CMYK (plus spot color) PDF. The only workaround is to use Distiller settings to convert the RGB to CMYK, a somewhat risky proposition, or to use the color conversion features of Acrobat X Pro to selectively convert colors from RGB to CMYK and then, use the Acrobat X Pro preflight function to "fix" the file and create PDF/X-1a.

	- Dov