FM grey GUI [WAS: Windows 7 - Snap]

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Thu Feb 3 11:31:07 PST 2011

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain at aeris.net) wrote:

> Totally, TOTALLY agreed!
>
> I live with it, but detest it. :(

I agree as well; but these days it's easy to get seduced -- it's one
downside of 16 million+ color, 1920x1280 displays. Another downside
includes the well-intentioned GUI designers and marketeers who have
never "lived" the task at hand. They might think they understand the
task from their outside view, but they've never actually *worked* the
task from the inside to any depth of time or experience.

I was doing some design work on another SW product (non-Frame related
database product, sorry!) and was thinking, "ooooh, this looks
'nice,'" and I appreciated the way "themes" and "color schemes" could
be managed during development.

But once past initial graphical design phase and the more I started
working with actual data in this environment, the more I started to
dislike the graphical component because somehow, the presentation of
data was losing something.

I have since chucked most of the "pretty" and "cool" in favor of data
"intelligibility".

To paraphrase Stuart, the GUI should fit the application and content;
it should never, ever distract from the task at hand.

YMMV.

Frank

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421