Customer-friendly word for "landline"

Böðvar Björgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 01:35:14 PST 2011

What is wrong with landline? Is it bad that it is easily
understandable? Should you really try to find a word that no none
understands without a Masters degree in English?

It seems to me that there is an ongoing snob for Latin-based words,
acronyms (Latin) and abbreviations (Latin) (or shorts (Humanly
understandable language)) in England and the US, which means that you
have to constantly refer to a dead language. How much time, effort and
ink do you think is spent on explaining "English" words to the
English-speaking?

Let's use the simple words when we can.

KISS

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson

2011/2/4 Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain at aeris.net) <Syed.Hosain at aeris.net>:
> We mostly use "wireless" and "wireline" to distinguish the two (my company is in the wireless data business for cellular).
>
> On fewer occasions, simply "landline" and "POTS".
>
> Depends on the audience. :)

Remember: Amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic.