Customer-friendly word for "landline"

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Fri Feb 4 09:59:58 PST 2011

The telecom industry (that I am in) has come up with so many acronyms and terms for simple reasons:

_Unlike_ other industries, the need to interact (people and systems) between multiple vendors/suppliers, multiple industry organizations and regulatory bodies, and multiple _nations_, drives a HUGE number of international standards ... so that everyone speaks a "common language"!

And, because there are so many touch points, the sheer number of terms needed is absolutely huge. Thus, if we had to use the full term/phrase _each and every time_ we spoke or wrote about something, it would get unwieldy instantly.

Hence, acronyms and commonly used terms abound. "POTS" is common and instantly understood. So are "landline", "wireless" and "wireline" - these are more generic and do change a bit in context (unlike POTS).

It would be surprising to me if there was any real confusion. Or any confusion that lasted any length of time anyway!

Regardless of which, we _sometime_ refer internal people (and customers) to this:

	http://www.amazon.com/Newtons-Telecom-Dictionary-25th-Telecommunications/dp/0979387337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296841211&sr=8-1

to explain any term as needed.

Regards,