Please help me stop weeping... (sub-documents when converting to HTML)

Eric Geissinger egeissinger at stny.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 07:02:50 PST 2011

I get this completely irritating message 50 times every time I convert my document to HTML:

"Cannot find a heading element for a section that is being converted to a sub-document. The top-level document will not contain a link to the sub-document. OK to continue?"

I hit OK a billion times, weeping with frustration, and the result is fine.  I just can't hit OK that much.  I'll end up with carpel tunnel.  Plus this is just a small test book.  I can't hit OK 2000 times for the real book.

The reason is clear but yet unclear to me.

I am saving a structured book into HTML and told Frame via the HTML conversion tables in the reference pages (for the book), that I want new pages to start on various elements.  Fine.  I map the elements to various HTML tags.  OK. The thing is I don't really WANT Frame to automatically include links to the subdocument in the HTML.

Why?

Read on my friends...

For example, if my Frame document has a page like this:

(Frame chapter)
+++Functions follow+++++
These functions are really great.  Check them out.
This is a link to Function A
This is a link to Function B
This is a link to Function C
Thank for reading, enjoy your functions.
+++End of Functions++++

That is kinda how the start of the chapter goes.  After this overview page are the functions themselves on new pages, first Function A, then B, etc.

Now, since "Function A" is a link to the function which starts a new page (in the book), I don't want this link automatically reincluded when it is saved to HTML.  Because then I get:

(HTML OUTPUT)
+++Functions follow+++++
These functions are really great.  Check them out.
This is a link to Function A
This is a link to Function B
This is a link to Function C
Thank for reading, enjoy your functions.
+++End of Functions++++
(---> auto-inserted by HTML conversion) Link to Function A
(---> auto-inserted by HTML conversion) Link to Function B
(---> auto-inserted by HTML conversion) Link to Function C

Where the last three are the "automatic" links that the HTML conversion puts in there for me.  So now there are two full sets of links on the page both of which work.  Ugh.

Not wanted.  I want the HTML conversion to "generate" a new page without actually inserting a link for me, since the link is already there in the actual Frame document.

So what I have done is NOT map the Function "start new page" elements to HTML headings (instead to Body), which stops the HTML conversion from adding the link to the sub-document.

So that is why I get all them messages.

My question:  can I suppress the messages via the Frame .ini file or something, or is there another, better way to do what I am trying to do which also suppresses these annoying messages?

Is there a way to tell the HTML conversion:  "Make a new web page when you get to this element, but DO NOT add a link to the subdocument?"

Many, many thanks.  I just can't take it anymore.

--EG