Need Advice on Upgrade Strategies for FM and Acrobat

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Wed Feb 9 20:08:01 PST 2011

Hi Jasmine:

All of my SMEs, with one or two exceptions, use FrameMaker to draft
material for me. The amount of time it saves me from converting Word to
FrameMaker is worth the money. I've been told this is just short of a
miracle, but I just wanted to let you know that it's possible, and there
are even a few of them who prefer FrameMaker to Word.

I might have an advantage because I moved to structured FrameMaker, so
it makes it easier for the SMEs to follow the templates. You didn't
mention if you're using structured. If you're not, this probably isn't a
good time to introduce it.

My "secrets" to winning over the SMEs are:
- Give them a cheat sheet.
- Give them a one-hour tutorial.
- Offer to be their technical support any time of the day or night.
- Point out that if they work in FrameMaker, they don't have to give you
the material as far in advance in order to give you enough time to
convert the files from Word.

Sorry I can't help you on an upgrade path except to echo Jeff's
question: why would the SMEs need Acrobat? I'm currently looking at
upgrading myself, so I'm working out a plan, too.

Fei Min