Setting up the graphics context menu (or double click) to edit a PDF graphic with Illustrator

Michael.Down at invensysrail.com Michael.Down at invensysrail.com
Mon Feb 21 20:00:34 PST 2011

Hello Framers,

I am using FrameMaker 9 on a Windows XP system.

I have been using EPS format graphics, created with Illustrator (CS4)  and
Photoshop (CS4),  in my FrameMaker books. This works well for two main
reasons:
 I can double click the graphic within FrameMaker and the EPS file opens
in Illustrator
When I generate a PDF version of a book, I can search for words within the
PDF and the text in the graphics is included in that search.

Now I would like to save my graphics in PDF format in Illustrator and
import the PDF into FrameMaker files. The trouble is that when I double
click the graphics in FrameMaker I start  Acrobat, not Illustrator.

 If I set up Windows File Types to associate .PDF files with Illustrator,
then I am stuck with Illustrator opening all the PDF files I read (mainly
the FrameMaker User Guide).

So I have been trying to set up FrameMaker's Graphics Context menu (the
right click menu) to have an option for starting Illustrator. But I can't
figure out how to do it.

The Graphics Context menu as supplied has "Edit with RoboScreenCapture". I
thought that the RoboScreenCapture entry might be a clue on what to do,
but I can't find RoboScreenCapture mentioned in any Frame cfg files.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a menu option  in FrameMaker
to launch another application?

Can I set up FrameMaker so that  Illustrator is launched by double
clicking a PDF graphic, that would be nice?

Regards,

Mike

Michael Down
Technical Writer
Invensys Rail Pty Ltd
T   +61 3 9674 7724
E   Michael.Down at invensysrail.com
W  http://www.invensysrail.com
179–185 Normanby Road   South Melbourne   VIC 3205   Australia