Frame Light, what's the potential market?

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Tue Feb 22 16:19:35 PST 2011

> I think it was a mistake for FrameMaker 10 not to include ePub output
> directly from FrameMaker.  I can output an ePub straight from InDesign
> or straight from Apple Pages, but I need the full TCS3 to output ePub
> through RoboHelp.

When I saw the announcement of RJ Jacquez' webinar on producing EPUB, I
was excited. That's a feature I could use. Then I watched the webinar
and saw that RoboHelp would also be required, and was disappointed. The
logic, according to RJ, was that Adobe chose to put Web output into
RoboHelp and print output into FM. But, sheesh. Those of us who create
print books have no need for any of the help or Web features in
RoboHelp, but it would be nice to port a book easily into EPUB. There's
no way I'm going to spend the $1300 to upgrade to TCS3 just for that
capability, though.

So maybe a RoboHelp Extra Lite is what I want-- EPUB only. Or, maybe now
that ExtendScript is hooked into FM, some third party will create a
reasonably priced script that would do the conversion.

Mike Wickham