Frame Light, what's the potential market?

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Tue Feb 22 13:22:36 PST 2011

Hi Anthony:

What encouraging news! I asked Adobe for a "FrameMaker Light" back in
2005 or so. I entered the suggestion on their website, as well as
emailed it to one of the guys in charge of FrameMaker 8, but I hadn't
heard anything since.

We currently have seven licenses of FrameMaker 7.2. I'm the lone writer,
so if there were a light version, we could switch to one full version
and six light ones. But with a reduced cost and an easier interface, I
think we could expand that to twenty. Even now, we're on the verge of
buying more licenses (and moving to FrameMaker 10) because it's kind of
popular with the SMEs around here.

I'm using structured except for the legacy stuff, so I would want the
Light version to let users set attribute values as well as use the list
of elements. They also have to be able to import XML files into
FrameMaker.

Yes, we use shared text right now, but I tend to manage it. I could see
the SMEs getting involved in making changes to it, though, so that would
be a good feature to include in the Light version.

Of course, they have to be able to create tables and cross-references.
They don't do this often, but they should be able to change variable
values, too. And updating the book is essential.

We'd like to see the price down around $200 for individual licenses, or
an appropriate deal on a site license. Floating licenses wouldn't be
good because we have lots of SMEs who travel and couldn't be connected
to the network. Please don't go to a dongle (sad story there).

Sarah O'Keefe had a good idea back when I was asking for FrameMaker
Light, and that was to make a FrameMaker XML editor version, but of
course that would only apply to structured users.

I just read Alan's response and I realize that FrameMaker Light isn't
needed by everyone, but for some of us, it would be perfect.

Fei Min