OT: Translation cost comparison

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Fri Feb 25 15:16:18 PST 2011

Actually, in my case, I was only talking about word cost. This was borne out by the detailed quotes I received. Other fees were accounted for under different line items (any reputable LSP should do it this way so you can see what is involved in a job and what the associated costs are).

I also did a large RFQ about 15 months ago with 11 different ISO qualified, medical device LSPs and even though they were all given *exactly* the same set of directions, the same TM and the same FM-based file set, the word counts were all over the place. Counts for New Words alone ranged from a low of 27,863 to a high of 36,305. That kind of discrepancy adds up quickly.

FYI: The MS Word equivalent number was 28,239.

Alison