Font Fiasco with FM 9 Book and Distiller

Daniel Doornbos - PTU danield at promise.com
Mon Jan 10 16:53:16 PST 2011

Hello Jim,

I have encountered this problem with earlier versions of FrameMaker.
It has not yet happened to me on FM9.
In my experience, if there is a font problem, it is caused by the fonts used in graphics.
Sometimes, the Distiller warning messages are misleading, so you have no idea what the problem is.

If Syed's suggestion does  not work, try this one...

First, when you print to a PostScript file, did you select Adobe PDF as your printer choice?
Second, look at the content of pages 10 through 12.
If you have graphics on those pages, save a copy of your FM file, delete the graphics, and try printing to PostScript and distill to PDF again.

If those actions do not identify the problem, here is my method of washing a file:
1. Save the text from the FM file to a .txt file.
2. Create a new FM file.
3.  Import the text from the .txt file into the new FM file.
4. Without applying formatting, print to a PostScript file and distill to PDF.
5. If successful, apply your formats, print to PS and distill again.
6. If successful, import your graphics, print to PS and distill again.

By the time you reach step 6, you know whether the problem was in the FM file or an imported graphic.
It is a lot of effort but it has never failed me.

Best wishes for your success!

Daniel