Frame 9 and 10

Tue Jan 11 15:13:58 PST 2011

Alison Craig wrote:

> Having only ever used Frame 9, I wonder if anyone can tell me the protocol
> for installing a trial of Frame 10 on the same machine as Frame 9 - without
> wiping out or affecting the Frame 9 installation?

For as long as I can remember (FM 5.1 or so, at least), there has never been a problem having multiple versions of FM installed on the same PC. I'd be surprised if that changed with FM 10.

Every version of FM (through 9, anyway) installs in its own version-specific directory, has its own version-specific app data, etc.

The one issue that all multi-version installations have is the file associations. The last version installed wins. So if you install the FM 10 trial, double-clicking a *.fm, *.mif, or *.book file will open it in FM 10.

You can right-click a file, select Open With, and choose the FM version you want. Or open the FM version first and then open the file from within it.

You can switch the file associations back to FM 9 in Windows Explorer. Select Tools > Folder Options. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the File Types tab. Changing the associations is pretty straightforward.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.