increment more than one $chapnum in a file?

LW White lwwhite5 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:51:37 PST 2011

I'm converting some Word files to unstructured FM9. These files have a numbered section as the top level. At the second level, they have one or more numbered chapters. When a file contains more than one numbered chapter, I can't get Frame to recognize that chapter as part of the $chapnum auto-increment. So instead of:

Section I
   Chapter 1
   Chapter 2

Section II
   Chapter 3

Section III
   Chapter 4

I get:

Section I
   Chapter 1
   Chapter 1

Section II
   Chapter 2

Section III
   Chapter 3

If I don't use $chapnum, and just use one of the regular counters instead (<n+>) then the number doesn't increment across files. I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Is there any way to make $chapnum increment more than once per file? Or some other solution?

Thanks,
Leigh