Sudden Weird Appendix Numbering in Book (trying to release today)

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Fri Jan 14 10:54:37 PST 2011

FM 9 Version: 9.0p255
Unstructured
OS: XP Pro with SP3
FM Experience: 19 months

This book has worked well for me before, but with this release I've added a new appendix and the numbering behaviour I'm getting is very strange.

I had 3 appendices but have added a new one (inserted as Appendix C, making the old Appendix C the new Appendix D). The new Appendix D is causing the problems.

When I created the book (printing a PS file then distilling to PDF), what had been App D suddenly numbered itself App I, but the page numbering knows it's still App D (ie, pages are still D-1, D-2) and the TOC lists it as App D as well (also with the correct page reference). The PDF Bookmarks pane lists it as App I.

I checked to ensure that the correct Para style was applied to the App title and it's identical to that applied to the heading in App C. (As I actually created the new App C by copying the existing App C to a new file, there should definitely be no differences.)

I compared the numbering settings in the book pane to ensure the settings were the same as App C and they are:

Volume: Continue Numbering from Previous File in Book
Chapter: Continue Numbering from Previous Chapter in Book
Section: N/A
Sub-Section: N/A
Page: First Page # 1, Format Numeric
Paragraph: Continue Numbering from Previous Paragraph in Book
Footer: Start Over on Each Page: Numeric
Table Footnote: Format alphabetic

App D is the last appendix in the book, but it is followed by a series of files (11x17, single page mechanical drawings) that are also part of App D. Their numbering is correct.

I wondered if somehow the Appendix was carrying on from the chapter numbering, but as the last chapter is 12 (equivalent to L) that doesn't make sense.

I'm trying to run 3 books off these files for release at the end of the day so if anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears. FYI, before I added the extra appendix, everything was fine.

Alison

Alison Craig, Technical Writer
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation
130 - 4311 Viking Way