Indexing front matter

DeRosier, Edward Edward.DeRosier at anritsu.com
Fri Jan 14 10:27:17 PST 2011

Hi Nancy,

This suggestion is sent only because you solicited "all suggestions" in
your appeal.

You might consider assigning a Text format to your preface file so that
the page numbers appear as something similar to:

Preface - 1, Preface - 2, Preface - 3

P - 1, P - 2, P - 3

Or something esthetically pleasing to your document style.

Sorry, this is not a real answer to your question.

Good luck,

Ed DeRosier
Anritsu Company

**  **  **  **   from framers Digest, Vol 63, Issue 9   **  **  **  **

From: Nancy Allison <maker at verizon.net>
Subject: Indexing front matter

Hi, all.

My manuals use chapter numbering, so an index entry for page 3 of
chapter 5 comes out like this:

Apple pie recipe, 5-3

The front matter has roman numerals with no prefixes, so a reference to
Technical Support in the Preface should look like this:

Technical Support, xiii

I know how to set up a new IX format in the Reference page of the Index,
which would use only the <$pagenum> variable.

What I can't figure out is, how do I assign that format to the Preface
entry only?

Thanks for all suggestions.

--Nancy