FM9 and Windows 7 64 bit - SOLUTION

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Fri Jan 21 11:28:54 PST 2011

Glad to know you are up and going.

I've heard and personally experienced some installation problems associated with inability to properly read/access a CD or DVD. There are a number of underlying issues including (1) marginal CD/DVD drive, (2) marginal CD/DVD, and (3) the failure of the various layers of installation programs to properly report problems. Much of the installation is actually done via the operating system's "Microsoft Installer" software based on scripts setup by the Adobe installation software. Errors that occur in reading the CD/DVD are generally not propagated back to the Adobe installer such that an error can be reasonably reported and sometimes the errors are not reported back to the Adobe installer at all.

I'll try to suggest to the "powers that be" that perhaps a better strategy for Adobe's installation software would be to fully copy the contents of the CD/DVD to a temporary area, reporting any problems in reading the CD/DVD at that point, and then doing the actual installation from the files temporarily residing on the system's hard drive, in other words, automating the process that many of us find more successful that directly installing from the installation CD/DVD media.

	- Dov