FM: Searching for text that appears as a cross-reference

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 03:58:25 PST 2011

At 14:13 -0800 22/1/11, Roman Banks wrote:

>As far as I know, Framemaker does not provide a 'conventional' functionality for searching for text enclosed in cross-references. Is there a workaround for this limitation? Of course, it is possible to create a PDF file and search for the relevant text strings there, but there must be another way to overcome this problem, without using alternative file formats. Any ideas?

Not thought about this before, but if you save as MIF and look for the:

<XRefSrcText `<xrefnum>: <xrefTag>: <xrefText>'>

tag, it contains the xref source text. You could use this for, say, global edits, but it would not be much help in just locating the xref in the source document.

A real one I've just created looks like this:

   <XRef
    <XRefName `Heading & Page'>
    <XRefSrcText `66923: Heading1: This is a heading'>
    <XRefSrcIsElem No>
    <XRefSrcFile `'>
    <XRefLastUpdate  1295783633 0>
    <Unique 999233>