Page X of Y (Y needs to be total page count)

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 14:04:49 PST 2011

The usual trick is to put a paragraph with a unique tag (to make it easier to find in the X-ref dialog) on the last page of the last chapter, and to use an x-ref to that paragraph (with page-number-only format) in the page numbering on your master pages. Most system variables (like the page count variable) are file-oriented and not very useful for book-level issues like total page count.

-Fred Ridder