Compare Documents -- with Tables

Baruch Brodersen baruch at technitext.com
Fri Jan 28 00:01:40 PST 2011

Hi Cathy,
I did a quick test, and I see what you mean. FM's native document compare
function in 9.0 is not very robust when it comes to structural changes in
tables.
Possible solution:
If you save your docs as PDFs, you can compare those side-by-side in Beyond
Compare http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php as rendered text files.
Beyond Compare will show you text and column changes but not formating
changes.

For that you can use Acrobat. Acrobat 9's compare feature will show
formatting changes, but the column and text changes are hard, at least for
my eye, to intuitively grasp.

A two-phase comparison then, should enable you to visually capture the
differences:
1. PDF comaprisons in Beyond Compare for text, cell, and column changes.
2. PDF comparisons in Acrobat for formatting.

Alternatively, if you don't need to *see* the changes, you can *read* them
by saving the the files as XML, and then doing a side-by-side comparison in
Beyond Compare. In my tests, that worked pretty well.

Best,
Baruch Brodersen
Technitext Documentation

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Outlaw, Cathy <cathy_outlaw at baxter.com>wrote:

> We have to create a "redline" that compares a new version of a document to
> a previous version of the document, for each draft revision.
>
> The FrameMaker 9 Compare Documents utility works great for basic text.
> However, our documents are full of tables. Many, many very long tables.
>
> With FM's Compare Documents utility, if a table structure changes (a row is
> added/deleted, a column is added/deleted, the anchor is moved, or any cell
> formatting is changed) then FM simply inserts both the old table and new
> table in the comparison document. The only conditional tracking it does is
> to put a change bar next to the old and new table anchors, and only the
> anchors take on the conditional color (i.e., red for deleted or blue for
> inserted).
>
> In the comparison document, the two tables look like regular text - no
> conditions are applied. We have to MANUALLY color-code the insertions and
> deletions within all of the tables. This can take days, literally. There has
> GOT to be a better way!
>
> So my request is: is there any way to automatically identify the changes
> within tables in FrameMaker, or with any application that would partner with
> FrameMaker? (Acrobat doesn't compare tables very well either, nor does
> Word.) I can't find enough information about FrameMaker 10 to know if they
> have addressed the Compare Documents feature with tables.
>
> Any direction on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cathy Outlaw
> Technical Communicator
>

> The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s)or entity to
> which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
> material. Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended
> recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive privilege or
> confidentiality. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of ,
> or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by entities other
> than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error,
> please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
>
> For Translation:
>
> http://www.baxter.com/email_disclaimer
> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/baruch%40technitext.com

B a r u c h   B r o d e r s e n
T e c h n i t e x t   D o c u m e n t a t i o n
0 5 4  9 4 9  9 3 6 1