OT: Wireless headset

Ashish Gupta ashishiitb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 04:42:34 PST 2011

Hi Rick,

My experience says:

   - Bluetooth is only one of the options. Don't let it be a filter to being
   with. Infrared and RH frequency can be great too depending on your needs.
      - If you plan to use these across various rooms in the house and in
      the immediate neighborhood, then RH ones. They work in the line
of sight. If
      you have other appliances working on RH frequencies then don't go for the
      RHF ones. They get interference. RHF-operated ones are cheaper too.
      - If you are plan to use it with your cell phone as well, then
      Bluetooth it is.
   - If you want to do recording in noisy places, then it'd be better to
   have bidirectional microphones.
   - They come with the base unit which attaches to the PC. It better attach
   using a USB connector than a 3.5 mm copper jack.
   - IMHO, don't go for a headphone (without mic); buy a headset (with mic).
   It is a 2-in-1 device for almost the same price.
   - Don't go for a device offering anymore than 2 channel outputs. Having
   an in-built woofer would be good if you listen to music, but anything more
   (like, say 5 channel output!) is only for gaming and listening to high-end
   music (if your audio content is itself 5.1 to being with).
   - If you want to use them with mobile phone, while driving, and while
   conversing too, then consider monaural ones. Else stick to binaurals.
   - If you plan to use them with your mobile, first check the compatibility
   (for differences based on versions).
   - You might want to make sure they run on standard AAA re-chargeable
   batteries. In my experience the proprietary batteries are a nuisance.
   - I do not know if they are available in the market, but I'd want a pair
   that runs on ONE single AAA battery. I possess one which run on 2 AAA
   batteries and their weight seems to double after every hour of wearing them!
   :-)

If I may, the best way for market research would be to decide on budget (a
range) and make a priority list of 2 or 3 specs you are looking for, based
on your needs. One size will never fit all. You, for sure, know the best.

regards,
Ashish