Beginning new project based on book & files from previous project

Wed Jul 6 08:29:50 PDT 2011

Gay Alson wrote:

> I'm porting some books forward for a new version and have somehow
> forgotten an important step or concept...
>
> Book:  5.5_SuperProduct.book
> Files: 5.5_SuperProductCover.fm
>        5.5_SuperProductTOC.fm
>        5.5_SuperProductPreface.fm
>        5.5_SuperProductFunctions.fm
>        5.5_SuperProductAppendix.fm
>
> Everything is fine in the 5.5 version and all cross-references work.
> But
> now I need to begin work on version 5.6, using everything from 5.5 as a
> starting point. The obvious way is to rename all 5.5 files to 5.6 --
> however, I think a cross-reference in 5.6_SuperProductFunctions.fm that
> points to the Appendix will still try to find the 5.5 version of that
> file...

You have to rename the files within the book window, and then FM correctly updates all the links. While you're acknowledging the many prompts that FM displays as you do this, you might reconsider your file naming convention so you don't have to go through the same process for 5.7. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom