PDFs having a mixture of A4 and A3 page sizes

Wood, Claire (GE Oil & Gas) Claire.Wood at ge.com
Thu Jul 7 07:32:41 PDT 2011

Dear all

I was recently asked to test whether we could produce a PDF with mixed
page sizes. I did some experimentation with a colleague using Framemaker
7.2 and Acrobat 8/9, to find out if I could.

The results were:

1)       All chapters except one had their master page size set to A4,
with the one chapter at the end set to A3. Both versions of Acrobat
created the manual but the A3 sized chapters were cropped to A4.

2)       Having set the Acrobat setting in Distiller to A3, it only
created the whole document as A3. I tried it again to size to A4, but
got the same result as in Number 1.

3)       My colleague tried separating the files. He created the main
chapters of the pdf as A4 and created the A3 sized chapter separately,
outside the book file. Then he tried to insert the pages, but Acrobat
didn't like it.

Does anyone know of a setting that I've missed so that when someone
sends a pdf to print, it will automatically print my last chapter as A3,
instead of A4?

I thought that due to the nature of Acrobat, it would only create a PDF
as one size, not varying sizes, otherwise there would be an option to
automatically resize pages.

In the event of the latter, does anyone know of any changes, to support
this option, with respect to this in Acrobat 10?

Kind regards

Claire Wood

Product Development Technical Author

GE Oil & Gas

DL: +44 (0)1252 862 264

T +44 (0)1252 862 200 (switchboard)

E claire.wood at ge.com <mailto:claire.wood at ge.com>

Cody Technology Park, Range Road, Farnborough Hampshire, GU14 0FG, UK

Sondex Wireline Limited

GE imagination at work