AW: Finding standard (non-smart) quote, apostrophe

Reng, Dr. Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Fri Jul 15 02:16:49 PDT 2011

Hi Tim,

I do not know, which type of straight quotes or double quotes you
entered. When I enter a straight single or double quote in a text frame
and enter the same single or double quote in the Find dialog, FrameMaker
finds this character. It won't find typographic quotes. For these I have to
enter hex codes or UNICODE codes. (See Character_Sets.pdf in the
FrameMaker installation folder.)

There is no difference whether Smart Quotes are set when I search.
Smart Quotes change only the entered quotes to typographic ones.

I have FrameMaker 8.0p277. This version uses already Unicode. Therefore
I don't think that there is a difference to version 9.

The quote settings in maker.ini shouldn't have any effect as these affect
only the typographic quotes but not the straight quotes.

When I use the spelling checker, it finds straight double quotes but not
straight single quotes.

Best regards

Winfried