Anyone else looking at Frame >> WordPress (as a CMS)

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Fri Jul 15 11:52:12 PDT 2011

I have long thought that DITA was in my future, but it always seemed to be too risky for a lone writer with little time for R&D work.

It looks like the tools are arriving to enable me to do what I envision.

It’s good to be a part of a group with similar interests!

john

From: Yves Barbion [mailto:yves.barbion at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:25 AM
To: John Sgammato; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Anyone else looking at Frame >> WordPress (as a CMS)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:57 PM, John Sgammato <jsgammato at imprivata.com> wrote:

That sort of tool would be pretty exciting for me, but I would need a Drupal version, not a WordPress version.
Of course, if ... Mif2Go could save my 300pp FM10 book as 300 individual HTML procedures and somehow push them into a MySQL database, then I would have my grail - all my official released procedures could get pumped into a Drupal-powered knowledgebase owned by our Support team!

Hi John

Hmmm, FrameMaker + HTML + Drupal... this sounds like a great opportunity for using DITA. I wrote the first version of the content for our (Drupal) website in DITA (using FrameMaker + DITA-FMx), and then just published the ditamap as XHTML, using the DITA Open Toolkit. Each DITA topic corresponds to a page on our website. The only missing link back then (2007) was between Drupal and DITA: I had to copy/paste the HTML over in Drupal. Meanwhile, some clever Drupal developers have also become interested in DITA, for example Kristof Van Tomme of Pronovix. He has already developed some great DITA+Drupal stuff:

http://www.pronovix.com/category/all/dita

Cheers

--
Yves Barbion