Trouble with hypertext link

Wed Jul 20 00:30:42 PDT 2011

Tim Pann wrote:
 Is anyone a good resource to help me understand the rather odd manner
> that Frame 9 does hypertext links?
> I'm trying to put make a hypertext link from a phrase that's a subset
> of an entire line, but Frame treats the entire line as hypertext. I'm
> wondering if there's a "stop" marker I should be adding?

To elaborate a little on what Steve said:

You don't make a hypertext link from a phrase. You insert a hypertext marker at a specific text location (if you have a text range selected, IIRC, the marker is inserted at the beginning of the range). If you work with symbols turned on (you should), you'll see the marker. FM extends the hotspot in both directions from the marker to the next char format change or, if none, to the end of the pgf. It's been this way since probably FM 3 or so.

In general, you probably want your readers to _recognize_ a link, right? So you should apply a char tag that formats the text you want to use as the hotspot -- typically either blue or blue underlined.

Best practice, IMO: Select the hotspot text and apply your Link (or whatever you call it) char tag. (The selected text remains selected.) Then go to Special > Hypertext and create the hypertext marker.

By separating the creation of the hypertext command (the marker) from the designation of the hotspot to which it applies, FM gives you greater control. If later, you decide to extend (or shrink, or rephrase) the hotspot text, you can do so without messing with the hypertext marker.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.