Framemaker 9 master pages - reversed pagination

Wed Jun 1 21:50:23 PDT 2011

Smith, Andy wrote:

> I have a problem with the master pages in my document, for some reason
> the pagination seems to be back to front.

Not sure what you mean. There's no "pagination" of master pages. They're just templates, and their order is of no consequence.

> I've got two master pages for each section of my document, one for left
> hand and one for right hand pages.
> The RH page always appears in the document as the first page.

Sounds normal. Your document is set to two-sided and to start on a right-hand page.

> However, when I open my master pages the page that appears at the top
> is the LH page. The RH master page appears below.

Not sure what you mean by "top" and "below." The normal order of the default master pages is Left followed by Right. That is, the first master page is Left, the second is Right, and any custom master pages you add are added after that.

I think they just ordered them alphabetically. Or flipped a coin. As I said, it's of no consequence. On the body pages of your document, FM automatically applies the Right master page to the odd-numbered (right-hand) pages and the Left master page to the even-numbered (left-hand) pages.

I have a custom master page named First that I apply to the first page of each chapter. It's the last master page. The First shall be the last. :-)

> Not knowing how to fix this I've worked around it by setting the page
> numbering and other headers and footers to take account of the
> positioning. I can continue to fix this as it doesn't need to be dealt
> with too often but I'm wondering:

I don't understand what needs fixing. Is there a problem on your body pages? It sounds like there might be now that you've "worked around" a master page problem that doesn't exist. :-} But I assure you, any problem you're having is completely unrelated to the order of the master pages.

Let me reiterate: the order of your master pages is completely normal and is of no consequence to the body pages.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.