64 bit laptop: Be afraid??

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Sat Jun 4 06:09:36 PDT 2011

Hi Shelly,

I don't think it is the computer itself that matters, it is the OS. If you
install a 64-bit OS on your current machine, then you can access larger
amounts of RAM. It has been my experience that generous amounts of RAM can
solve a lot of problems with Windows computers, including FrameMaker and
Acrobat issues. The last machine I built has 12 GB of RAM, and I haven't
experienced any of the FrameMaker 9 crashing problems that people report.
This isn't to say that I never crash Frame, but it is usually because I am
hammering it with a complex script.

So, if you can upgrade your current computer to 8 GB of RAM and 64-bit
Windows 7, you should see a big improvement. If the machine is already at
its maximum at 4 GB, then it probably wouldn't be worth upgrading to 64-bit
Windows. Just make sure that your new laptop can handle at least 8 GB of
RAM.

Rick

Rick Quatro

Carmen Publishing Inc.