FrameMaker9 Character Set - Dixieland problems

Pinkham, Jim Jim.Pinkham at voith.com
Mon Jun 13 11:52:00 PDT 2011

This is probably the wrong day to tell you this, so you're welcome to lay it aside for another day, BUT if you have "many overriders" in your paragraphs, you have yet to fully discover and appreciate what FrameMaker is meant to do. Let your overrides be few. FrameMaker is all about standardization and consistency, with an eye toward making your work life easier.

Others can speak to this knowledgeably, and I'll be glad to stand corrected, but if I recall correctly, the changes between FM 7 and FM 9 that are affecting you in this particular circumstance have to do with the unicode features of FM 9 that weren't in FM 7.

In any case, you're probably either going to have to suffer through a lot of manual work or clean up your overrides, creating new standard styles where appropriate. If you take the second path, you'll save yourself grief in the future and the clean import approach won't be nearly as painful.

Regards,
Jim