FrameMaker 10 disappearing text?

Thu Jun 16 08:23:07 PDT 2011

Joy Kocar wrote:

> I just upgraded to FrameMaker 10. I open a file in FM10 and my chapter
> number does not appear. The space is there for it but I simply do not
> see it. I close the file without saving, then open it in FM9 on the
> same machine and voila, it is there again. Coincidentally my computer
> was rebuilt to Windows 7 (hard drive was failing) but I wouldn't expect
> it to matter since I opened both FM versions on the same machine.

Not sure what "The space is there" means. What matters is what's in Paragraph Designer. Is the Autonumber Format (on the Numbering tab) still correct, i.e., unchanged by the conversion?

Assuming it is, what about the numbering settings for the file? How do they compare with the same settings pre-conversion?

Here's a wild guess. If the file is one chapter in a book and normally gets its numbering from the book, when you open it standalone, the <$chapnum> variable usually retains the value it had the last time the book was updated. Maybe the conversion for some reason interferes with the ability to recall that previous value, and everything will be fine once the entire book is converted and updated. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom