Characters changing when moving from FM7 to FM9

Ragnar Hanås ragnar.hanas at betamed.se
Sat Jun 18 10:16:55 PDT 2011

Hello,

I raised this topic previously and have given it some more thought. The
problem is that for certain symbol fonts (Dixieland, Geographic Symbols,
Symbol Prop BT among others) the character displays incorrectly when a FM7
file is saved as FM9. Saving as FM7 mif gives the same result. With some
experimenting, I have found a fairly easy way to determine which character
change will take place. When replacing the hex code in the FM7 mif file to
that of the corresponding character, it then opens correctly in FM9. The
result is consistent over fonts, so if all characters in the ascii table
were mapped, it would be possible to find a universal hex replacement
procedure for all these fonts. Someone knowledgeable in hex could possibly
see a system in the replacements, and understand why this problem at all
takes place. The problem fonts may originate from Corel, but I don´t really
remember where I got them from. I have mapped those 25 characters I so far
have found in my FM7 files that behave incorrect.

My question is therefore if someone can write a script that saves a FM7 file
to mif, does a multiple find and replace for the hex codes in the mif, and
then saves to FM7 again. When this new FM7 file is opened in FM9, the
characters will display correctly. I can send the character file off-list.

Thanks,

Ragnar Hanas

Uddevalla Hospital, Sweden