Adding 11x17 Master Page into a file in a book

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:06:59 PDT 2011

I can't think of any easy way to get FrameMaker to do this, because running a graphic through the gutter is typically a problematic thing to do. If you're delivering a PDF that anyone is ever going to turn into hard copies, they are probably going to lose some amount of the graphic because most office printers have at least some non-printable margin at some or all edges of the page. A real page layout program (e.g., InDesign) would probably let you do this, since it's fairly common to have a background image that bleeds through the gutter, because in that kind of situation it doesn't really matter if part of the image cannot be seen. But a screenshot with callouts can't afford to have a dead area down the middle.

What *can* be done in FrameMaker is to include a double-width page in the book--basically a fold-out. The key distinction here is that it's a single oversize page (usually a recto) rather than two facing pages of the standard size.

-Fred Ridder