Looking for the best way to highlight text to the reader

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Tue Jun 28 11:06:39 PDT 2011

Structured FrameMaker 7.2 on Windows XP, AXCM version 2.01, and
FrameScript.

I have some manuals that are going to be published separately for
different products. I'm using an attribute value for conditional text,
and the AXCM plug-in to color and filter the manuals. Normally, I remove
colorizing for the final publication, but this time, the program manager
wants to show the differences. We want to avoid using color in case
someone decides to print the manuals (yes, we still ship PDF as well as
HTML). AXCM offers underlining, double underlining, overlining,
strikethrough, and revision bars in addition to colors. I'm not
completely satisfied with any of these solutions because the underscores
in some words gets lost with the underlining, and it gets a bit messy
when you have a whole page underlined. On the other hand, revision bars
look a bit like it's a draft and it doesn't show what changed on a line.
Can anyone think of some alternatives considering the tools I have at my
disposal? For example, is there any way to change the revision bar to
another character or characters?

Fei Min

Fei Min Lorente
Senior Technical Communicator