[FrameUsers]: Looking for the best way to highlight text to the reader

Orly Zimmerman orlyz at marvell.com
Thu Jun 30 02:15:30 PDT 2011

HI Fei,
We also use the AXCM plug-in for the colors and I understand why you don't want to use the over/underlines or other lines in addition to color.

I do recall one of our other teams using a script to add the tag name (i.e. Product1) to the beginning of each text that uses that conditional tag. In this way, you could leave your colors for your customers who are not color blind and would appreciate the coloring, and have a text delineation as well - to indicate what product is being discussed.
(You know also that you can leave the coloring in the PDF and define the PDF to print only black and white).

Alternatively, you could search per condition and apply a different font or font size or some other character change - although that would look funny  (it might be ok for some things) - here, however, the search and replace would be ridiculously simple - Search (even throughout the entire book) for ConditionA and replace by PASTING  a character tag (you could define font 10, Arial Narrow as opposed to Arial, or underline, or whatever). Obviously, you should test it first so nothing goes wrong.
Best Regards,
Orly.

You wrote:

>Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:06:39 -0700
>From: "Fei Min Lorente" <FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com>
>To: <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
>Subject: Looking for the best way to highlight text to the reader
>
>Structured FrameMaker 7.2 on Windows XP, AXCM version 2.01, and FrameScript.
>

>I have some manuals that are going to be published separately for different products. I'm using an attribute value for conditional text, and the AXCM plug-in to color and >filter the manuals. Normally, I remove colorizing for the final publication, but this time, the program manager wants to show the differences. We want to avoid using color in >case someone decides to print the manuals (yes, we still ship PDF as well as HTML). AXCM offers underlining, double underlining, overlining, strikethrough, and revision >bars in addition to colors. I'm not completely satisfied with any of these solutions because the underscores in some words gets lost with the underlining, and it gets a bit >messy when you have a whole page underlined. On the other hand, revision bars look a bit like it's a draft and it doesn't show what changed on a line.
>Can anyone think of some alternatives considering the tools I have at my disposal? For example, is there any way to change the revision bar to another character or >characters?
>

>Fei Min

>Fei Min Lorente
>Senior Technical Communicator
>Medical Division
>ON Semiconductor
>feimin.lorente at onsemi.com <mailto:feimin.lorente at onsemi.com>
>+1 519 884 9696 ext 2297 | office
>+1 519 831 4931 | mobile
>+1 519 884 0228 | fax
>http://www.onsemi.com<http://www.onsemi.com/> <http://www.onsemi.com<http://www.onsemi.com/>>

Orly Zimmerman, Marvell Israel - Technical Communicator
Park Azorim, Kyriat Arie
Petah Tikva, 49527, Israel
Email: orlyz at marvell.com<mailto:orlyz at marvell.com>
Office: +972.3.9703440 - OnNet: 705.3440
Fax: +972.3.9704908
Web site: http://www.marvell.com<http://www.marvell.com/>

This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or by e-mail and delete the message from your computer.