Character definition that won't stick

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Jun 30 07:32:31 PDT 2011

On 30/06/2011 9:15 AM, Thomas Scalise wrote:
> Esteemed colleagues,
>
> I am running Frame10.0.1.402 on an XP SP3 machine. This problem,
> however, has been plaguing through Frame 7, 8, and 9.
>
> I have a character style called CrossReference. It has a bold Times New
> Roman font and a Blue color. I have been trying for a long time to
> figure out why I can’t change the font and make the change stick. I
> change the font in a document and save the document. The next time I
> open the document the cross references are back to looking the way they
> did before I changed the definition of the style.

Hi Thomas,

It would help to clarify questions if you used FM's own terminology.
When you "change the font in a document", what exactly are you doing?
Updating a character tag?  Applying a tag to text?

If you are applying a character tag (not a "style") to a cross-reference
that has already been inserted, then it's likely that the change won't
"stick" because every time FM reopens the document, the x-ref's get
updated (= overwritten).  The correct way to apply tags to x-ref's is to
include the character tag in the x-ref format definition.  All character
tags that you have in your catalog are listed at the bottom of the
Building Blocks list in the Edit Cross-Reference Format dialog box.
Place your cursor in the Definition box at the appropriate place and
click your CrossReference tag in the list; it will appear in <brackets>
in the Definition.  Click Change, Done, and the appropriate Update
choice, and save your document.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers