So how many of us are stuck with Frame 7.2?

Helen Borrie helebor at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 2 00:41:19 PST 2011

At 08:15 AM 2/03/2011, Alan Litchfield wrote:
>Yeah, I'm in that boat, and pricing in this part of the world is such that we get to pay significantly more than those stateside.

Worse, that upgrade thing is a cheat.  I was contentedly using FM6 which, when bought, had an upgrade path of two versions.  That meant I could upgrade to FM 7 or FM8 when I was ready.  Yeah, right.

The *same week" Adobe released FM 9 they pulled all the upgrade packs for FM8 - just at the very moment I decided I wanted FM8 for the structured support.  Every single outlet in Australia (and I rang them all!) told me the same story - FM8 upgrade packs are all packaged up ready to go back to Adobe, not allowed to sell them.

Finally got hold of Adobe sales/support in Australia (not easy!), to be told that, no, my only option now was to buy full FM9 and then apply for a downgrade to FM8.  This apparently comes as a link to an ISO in a secret corner of Adobe's ftp facilities: they don't supply a disk in return for all that money!

Well, I did not (and still don't) want FM9 and was in no way willing or able to beggar myself to get the FM8 upgrade I am entitled to.  Luckily, with a lot of perseverance, in March 2009, I was able to pick up a remaindered retail copy of full FM8 from **somewhere** (at remaindered software price, natch!) so was able to avoid the full Sting. IMO, Adobe's "moving goalpost" attitude to policy stinks at least 200% more than the sins that Microsoft is accused of!

So, no, I never did FM 7.  I guess I'm "stuck with FM 8" now, but I'm comfortable with that. I think the Mac users have been roundly ripped off, too.

Bah!

Helen