[f2a] Linkg from Visio diagrams to FM files (final deliverable is a PDF)

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Mar 2 01:13:08 PST 2011

Tammy,

You wrote:

>I want to modify some Visio diagrams and in this modification, include a
>link from different parts of the diagram to different locations in
>Framemaker files. The Visio diagrams will be in files that are in the same
>book as the files to which I want to link. The final deliverable will be a
>PDF. Is this even possible?

If you are referring to including links in the native graphics that will be
carried over as interactive items to the PDF, this requires other formats
(e.g. SWF, with Acrobat/Reader 9 or later, or U3D, as well as
production-side add-ons).

Even though Visio itself supports the insertion of hyperlinks for objects
inside the drawing, this functionality is carried over to PDF when Visio
drawings are integrated into FM (which is then converted to PDF).

With Visio (or with any other graphic format you can use in FrameMaker),
simply add text frames in the anchored frame containing the graphics, with
the hypertext markers defining the links (typically gotolink markers
pointing to destinations defined with newlink markers). When the graphics
is revised/resized, you will need to review/update the size/position of the
text frames or the markers' content.

Set the graphic runaround property to "Don't Run Around", so that text
frames can placed on top of the graphics without the frame content being
"repelled".

Text frames (and the resulting PDF links) are always rectangular.
Technically, it is possible to set the link highlight property to None so
that no attention is drawn to the rectangle shape (e.g. when the link is
placed over a diamond shape).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

Free webinar March 14 (10am PDT), Walkthrough: From static PDF to rich
interactive PDF