Text insets

Martin Ley martin at em-dash.com
Wed Mar 2 08:42:59 PST 2011

Hi folks,

I generally shy away from text insets, as they invariably barf on me in the target document - I get a spurious paragraph at the end of the imported inset which appears to be the same style (but with an asterisk) as the first paragraph of the source text.

This is a nightmare generally, and specifically if that initial paragraph is a Head1 (for example) - I get a blank entry in my TOC.

Over the years, I have tried various ways to get around this, and thought I had discovered nirvana in the form of an old thread:

http://www.freeframers.org/archive/00/msg01966.html

I tried the solution advocated in that thread and it seemed to work. Briefly. I gamely began producing a whole raft of insets in one document, in their own Flows, so I could import them into various target docs.

This week, my hard drive died, so I'm working from a bootable backup. Now, even using the same source FrameMaker files, I seem to be back to the bad old days of extraneous empty heading-style paragraphs. Does anyone have a clue as to how I can get around this? Or was I just dreaming? :-(

I'm using Frame 9 (latest patches) on an MacBook Pro(OS X 10.6.6) running Win7 under Parallels Desktop for Mac. Old (dead drive) Mac had 8GB RAM. This one only has 3GB (so reconfigured Parallels to cope).

Martin Ley

Martin Ley, Em-Dash Publications
84 High Street, Burwell, CAMBRIDGE, CB25 0HD

T   +44 1638 744173           M  +44 7803 297354
W  em-dash.com     E  martin at em-dash.com
VAT 823339730          Skype   +44 1223 969925