Version and Build Questions

Chantel Brathwaite brathwaitec at castupgrade.com
Tue Mar 8 13:28:44 PST 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this list and hope that you can help me.  I'm using
version 7.2 of FM.  I am creating 5 different versions of the same
document.  Since most of the information in each document is the same,
I'm maintaining one set of files (one file for each chapter and each
appendix) and placing conditional text in the areas that are
version-specific.  However, there are some files that should appear in
one version of the documentation, but not in another.  For example,
AppendixF.fm might appear in one document, but not another.  Is there a
way to indicate that when a specific version of a document is created,
which files should be included, or would I have to handle that manually
by adding/removing the document in the book file?

Also, I was wondering if any of you have specific suggestions about how
to handle different builds of the documentation, when the versions of
the document are different.  For example, I need to create 5 different
versions of the same documentation for build 5.0 of the software.  I do
this using conditional text and export each version to PDF.  When I'm
finished, I save the document that I used to create the different
versions, plus all of the PDFs to CVS and tag it as the final release
for build 5.0 of the software.  A few months later, I might start
working on build 6.0 of the software, so I start the process again.  Is
there a way to track builds in FrameMaker (maybe MORE conditional text)
or is the way that I've been doing this - or, in your experience is
using CVS to track the build, the best way to handle this?

Thanks!

--
Chantel Brathwaite
Technical Writer