How to clean up Paragraph and Character Tags

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:43:54 PST 2011

As others have noted, there are tools that can handle the task of identifying and removing unused paragraph tags.

But one thing you need to note is that importing the short, cleansed tag list into other files will *not* remove the unused tags from thoe files. Importing formats is a purely additive operation. Tags that exist in both catalogs will get updated to the format definitions from the file that you are importing from, and any that are unique to that file will be imported just as you would expect. But all formats that are unique to the "target" file (the one you are importing into) will remain just as they were before the import.

If the goal is to have pared-down, standardized format catalogs in all your files, the process has to start with the removal of unused/unwanted formats from the each of files. Or you can turn this process around and start with a clean template file that contains only the tags you want to use going forward, and then import the contents from each of your existing files into copies of this clean template. Then you can use a tool such as Cudspan's HuntPgfOverrides to find any paragraphs that were tagged with a tag name that doesn;t exist in your template's catalog.

-Fred Ridder