Version and Build Questions

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 08:12:19 PST 2011

Richard Combs wrote:

> IME, using separate books simplifies your workflow and minimizes the chances for operator error when producing multiple versions of a document. To create the Version A PDF, you open the Version A book, select all its files, select View > Show/Hide Conditional Text and show the correct conditions, update/generate the book, and you're ready to go.

I agree completely with Richard.
The one additional hint I'd offer is that there is usually one file that is unique to each book (e.g. the title page), which you can use to contain the book-specific user variable definitions and conditional text settings. That way, all you have to do is use File>Import>Formats to import the variables and conditional text settings from the book-specific file to all the shared files before doing a book update and publishing. It makes it almost foolproof to publish multiple variants.

-Fred Ridder