Hypertext marker for Telephone number

Wed Mar 9 14:53:30 PST 2011

Diana Stock wrote:

> I would like to create a hyperlink (hypertext) within FrameMaker so that
> when a PDF file is created and viewed on a SmartPhone - it would recognize
> the link and autodial if selected.
>
> Using  the Tel url in Anchor Tag <a href="tel:940-453-4538">940-453-
> 4538</a></p>  - works for an HTML page but how can I edit the FM source
> file?

I've never tried it for a tel URI, but a "Go to URL" FM hypertext command _might_ work.

1) In the FM file, highlight the telephone number and apply the char tag you're using for links.
2) With the number selected or the cursor within it, select Special > Hypertext.
3) In the dialog box, set Command to Go to URL and in the text box, specify the command like this:
	message URL tel: 940-453-4538
4) Click New Hypertext Marker.

No guarantees. As Rick suggested, you may want to test first with a link you create manually in Acrobat. But then, it doesn't take long to do the above and then save as PDF.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom