Version and Build Questions

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Thu Mar 10 05:45:38 PST 2011

Hi Chantel

No, you can have as many conditions active in a file (or book) as you wish (there's probably a theoretical maximum). It's just that handling multiple conditions becomes a nightmare when you get to more than three. One reason for this, but not the only one, is that FrameMaker shows any content that has two or more conditions with a magenta indicator colour. So if you have three conditions:

Content with ConditionA is red (say)
Content with ConditionB is blue
Content with ConditionC is green
Content with more than one condition applied is magenta.

Unless you diligently look at the lower left on the status bar, where applied conditions are shown, it's hard to know whether some magenta text is A+B, A+C, B+C, or A+B+C. Add another condition and the number of potential combinations increases exponentially. And if you use different conditions *within* a sentence or paragraph, instead of applying conditions only at the paragraph level, it really does become a quick route to insanity.

Hope this clarifies what I meant.

Roger

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation