Book pagination confusion

Tim Pann TPann at telecomsys.com
Thu Mar 24 10:02:20 PDT 2011

Thank you for your insights Fred. Very helpful.

The back story here is that I'm the Technical Trainer at my company, and
the group I reside in is separate from the Technical Writers. In the
process of generating training content I always write fully published
instructional guides to distribute to my learning audience. For page
number formatting I want to be consistent with the Technical Writing
team, so I refer to the documents they publish. The documents I've seen
number front matter in roman, and then the content is numeric and a
continuation of the front matter. So their documents are numbered, for
example, i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, 7, 8, 9. Really!!

This morning I went and asked one of the writers about it and she said,
"Well, that's a mistake. We're supposed to start content at page 1." In
their defense, I now see, going back and looking at other docs, that
some do start content on page 1.

You learn something every day. A pox on me, of course, for not referring
to a style guide. There it is in The Chicago Manual of Style, page 5.
The fifth page after the front matter. Doh!

Tim